Skip to main content

Computer Application: The Gimp

If you are interested in an application to manipulate images and photos, then I recommend the Gimp. The Gimp is an acronym for the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is similar to Paint Shop Pro and other graphics applications.

The Gimp is currently at version 2.2.3 and is available for download at gimp.org. It is a cross-platform application, which means it is available for multiple operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X).

For new users the interface might be confusing, because the Gimp uses multiple windows: one for the tools, one for tool options, one for image layers, etc., one for any other dialogs, and one for each image you are editing. But, the Gimp is completely customizable to make it any way you want. The way I like it is with all the tools and dialogs in one window, but in tabs on the right of the screen, and then a window for each image I am editing.

When you get more advanced using the Gimp, you can also create scripts to perform automated tasks for you. For example, I made a script that resizes the image, puts a border on it, drops a shadow, and makes a background color. Using this program is a joy, and I am very productive with it. Since it is open source, it is constantly being modified and upgraded to be more robust/user friendly/capable of doing more things.

So, give the Gimp a try, my friend! GIMP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cephalopod and I

Silently the cephalopod somehow started shuddering as something somewhere suffering screamed out from someones sin. And strangely, when I saw the sin I also started struggling so, to stifle my sensation of a strangling sort of sound. I, descending south and circling, seeking, Swam to save the screaming something. I searched, the sound was sickening; Uncertain, stopped I, listening. The source I sought. The cephalopod, still shaking, swerved and suddenly just stopped and swooned, I ascertained The sound had ceased. I sobbed. Sadly, solemnly, the squid and I, together, side by side, swam home.

Open Office.org

You have probably heard of it by now, but if not, you should try using OpenOffice.org . It is an office suite like Microsoft Office, but it is open source. I like it because I like supporting open source projects, and I like alternatives to Microsoft. OpenOffice is FREE. I like quality free software. OpenOffice.org is mostly compatible with MS Office documents (ie, you can open documents made in MS Office, and save documents in MS Office format). I say mostly compatible because nobody knows what the MS Offics formats are. Even Microsoft Office documents themselves are not compatible with other versions of themselves. Anyways, it is a neat thing they got going on. Go to there website and download the application suite and give it a whirl. http://www.openoffice.org/

Painting: Injury

This is a painting I did with the computer program called Art Rage . This painting is called Injury. Not sure why it is called that, I usually name my paintings by the first word that comes to mind that I like. I hope you enjoy it.