Skip to main content

Motion Picture: Primer


This week I saw the movie "Primer", which is an independent film that was shown at the Sundance festival in 2004. It was created by Shane Carruth. It is a science fiction film with a theme of time travel. I really liked it and there are a number of reasons:

1) The writer tried very hard to make the scientific conversations actually real, they are talking about real technology, etc. This is great because a lot of the time I am bugged immensely while watching movies with computers and technology and everything is horribly simplified (and wrong) for the average movie consumer. It is refreshing that someone took care in making a movie that isn't blatantly wrong in its scientific aspects.

2) Although the movie is slow, and this is a complaint by most people, I liked the pace. I like other movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Andromeda Strain.

3) The movie is pretty complicated and I didn't understand it all after a first viewing. This is great, because I like to watch movies again, but sometimes they aren't as good the second and third time, because you already know what is going to happen. Hence I long for the movie that you have to watch multiple times, and each time you get it a little bit more. I like movies where you have to think.

4) Time travel movies are always interesting to me.

5) The creator/director of this movie did it all for $7000, and it is a nice piece of work. That is neat that someone could make such a good-looking movie for so little money. It is quite the accomplishment.

You can read more about this movie online, and I encourage you to go to see it. And if it is not your type of movie, so be it.

The official site for the movie is found at www.primermovie.com. There is also a forum there to discuss the movie, which is very interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Office.org

You have probably heard of it by now, but if not, you should try using OpenOffice.org . It is an office suite like Microsoft Office, but it is open source. I like it because I like supporting open source projects, and I like alternatives to Microsoft. OpenOffice is FREE. I like quality free software. OpenOffice.org is mostly compatible with MS Office documents (ie, you can open documents made in MS Office, and save documents in MS Office format). I say mostly compatible because nobody knows what the MS Offics formats are. Even Microsoft Office documents themselves are not compatible with other versions of themselves. Anyways, it is a neat thing they got going on. Go to there website and download the application suite and give it a whirl. http://www.openoffice.org/

The Cephalopod and I

Silently the cephalopod somehow started shuddering as something somewhere suffering screamed out from someones sin. And strangely, when I saw the sin I also started struggling so, to stifle my sensation of a strangling sort of sound. I, descending south and circling, seeking, Swam to save the screaming something. I searched, the sound was sickening; Uncertain, stopped I, listening. The source I sought. The cephalopod, still shaking, swerved and suddenly just stopped and swooned, I ascertained The sound had ceased. I sobbed. Sadly, solemnly, the squid and I, together, side by side, swam home.

The Kitchen

A group of scientists wandered into a kitchen that was full of the sweet smell of freshly baked bread. They quickly discovered that the source was the fine loaf sitting in the oven. Upon inspection, they found that there was no one in the kitchen, so they began developing a theory of how it got there. Examining the contents of the cupboard yielded results. In the cupboard was flour, sugar and salt. There was a source of water from the sink, and in the fridge there were yeast and eggs. They also found butter and oil. They determined that all these ingredients must have swirled and stormed around the room every which way until finally the mixture landed in the oven where it was baked. Sweet!