Skip to main content

New mathematics record for reciting 'pi'

Japanese sets new mathematics record for reciting 'pi'

TOKYO -- A 59-year-old Japanese psychiatric counselor set a world record of sorts Sunday by reciting "pi," or the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, to 83,431 digits.

"I thank you all for your support," Akira Haraguchi told reporters and onlookers when he finished the overnight 13-hour feat at a public hall in Kisarazu in Tokyo's southern suburbs at 1:26 a.m.

The ratio is about 3.14159.

According to the authoritative Guinness Book of World Records, the previous record for reciting pi from memory -- 42,195 digits -- was set by a then Japanese university student in 1995.

Haraguchi had already recited the ratio up to about 54,000 digits last September but was forced to end the attempt when his time ran out at the facility hosting the event.

There was no time limit set for the hall where he achieved the new record which he said would be submitted for recognition by the Guinness Book of World Records.

from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cephalopod and I

Silently the cephalopod somehow started shuddering as something somewhere suffering screamed out from someones sin. And strangely, when I saw the sin I also started struggling so, to stifle my sensation of a strangling sort of sound. I, descending south and circling, seeking, Swam to save the screaming something. I searched, the sound was sickening; Uncertain, stopped I, listening. The source I sought. The cephalopod, still shaking, swerved and suddenly just stopped and swooned, I ascertained The sound had ceased. I sobbed. Sadly, solemnly, the squid and I, together, side by side, swam home.

Open Office.org

You have probably heard of it by now, but if not, you should try using OpenOffice.org . It is an office suite like Microsoft Office, but it is open source. I like it because I like supporting open source projects, and I like alternatives to Microsoft. OpenOffice is FREE. I like quality free software. OpenOffice.org is mostly compatible with MS Office documents (ie, you can open documents made in MS Office, and save documents in MS Office format). I say mostly compatible because nobody knows what the MS Offics formats are. Even Microsoft Office documents themselves are not compatible with other versions of themselves. Anyways, it is a neat thing they got going on. Go to there website and download the application suite and give it a whirl. http://www.openoffice.org/

Painting: Injury

This is a painting I did with the computer program called Art Rage . This painting is called Injury. Not sure why it is called that, I usually name my paintings by the first word that comes to mind that I like. I hope you enjoy it.