Skip to main content

Traffic Science: Eat a wave

Having procured a new job on the other side of the cities, I often find myself in traffic jams during the rush hours. Consequently, I have noticed a few patterns in the traffic congestion routines. The traffic jammage happens in waves, that is why they call it stop and go. Annoying! I always wondered, "Why can't we all just go at the same steady pace, rather than all this stop start nonsense!"

Finally, I realized that the best thing to do was to just go at a slow and steady pace, and average out the speed of the cars in front of me. I called it the "No brakes" method, where it was kind of like a game where you had to adjust your speed such that you never had to hit the brakes in a stop and go traffic jam.

It makes huge gaps in front of you, which for some odd reason irritates the other drivers, but the fact is, you are not going any slower than anyone else.

Some inside information which was recently delivered to me also talks about this same phenomenon, with the same "cure". A brilliant fellow in Seattle has a webpage where he talks about traffic wave experiements:Traffic Waves. He has illustrations, explanations, experiments in great detail regarding the wves that are created in traffic jams. I encourage you to read it and implement also in your own driving the cure: average speed, eat a wave.

A snippet from his page:
Sometimes the traffic waves have have no real cause at all. They appear because tiny random motions can trigger large results. They are like sand ripples and sand dunes, and they just build up for no clear reason. They are like ocean waves caused by the steady breeze, or like the waves which move along a flapping flag. They just "emerge" spontaneously from the writheing lines of traffic. In the science of Nonlinear Dynamics this is called an EMERGENT PHENOMENON."


ANTITRAFFIC DESTROYS TRAFFIC. Empty spaces can eat a traffic jam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Office.org

You have probably heard of it by now, but if not, you should try using OpenOffice.org . It is an office suite like Microsoft Office, but it is open source. I like it because I like supporting open source projects, and I like alternatives to Microsoft. OpenOffice is FREE. I like quality free software. OpenOffice.org is mostly compatible with MS Office documents (ie, you can open documents made in MS Office, and save documents in MS Office format). I say mostly compatible because nobody knows what the MS Offics formats are. Even Microsoft Office documents themselves are not compatible with other versions of themselves. Anyways, it is a neat thing they got going on. Go to there website and download the application suite and give it a whirl. http://www.openoffice.org/

The Cephalopod and I

Silently the cephalopod somehow started shuddering as something somewhere suffering screamed out from someones sin. And strangely, when I saw the sin I also started struggling so, to stifle my sensation of a strangling sort of sound. I, descending south and circling, seeking, Swam to save the screaming something. I searched, the sound was sickening; Uncertain, stopped I, listening. The source I sought. The cephalopod, still shaking, swerved and suddenly just stopped and swooned, I ascertained The sound had ceased. I sobbed. Sadly, solemnly, the squid and I, together, side by side, swam home.

The Kitchen

A group of scientists wandered into a kitchen that was full of the sweet smell of freshly baked bread. They quickly discovered that the source was the fine loaf sitting in the oven. Upon inspection, they found that there was no one in the kitchen, so they began developing a theory of how it got there. Examining the contents of the cupboard yielded results. In the cupboard was flour, sugar and salt. There was a source of water from the sink, and in the fridge there were yeast and eggs. They also found butter and oil. They determined that all these ingredients must have swirled and stormed around the room every which way until finally the mixture landed in the oven where it was baked. Sweet!